“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” Charles Darwin
We are creatures of habit. That means that we often do things, react to things and live our lives according to a routine. Meaning, we are not consciously choosing things; we are simply repeating our behaviors, ideas, goals, etc. over and over again.
That’s not to say it’s bad to be in a routine or to repeat certain things. In fact, my life has completely shifted since I implemented some new and supportive routines. For instance, morning affirmations, daily meditation and body movement are all a big + important part of my success.
However, I didn’t just do these things on my own. I brought a lot of awareness to my life, my mood + my behavior and decided to implement the things that worked so I could feel supported daily.
That is quite different from doing the same old without realizing it or knowing why you are doing it. Especially if it is negatively impacting your experience – which you can only figure out if you are aware of yours actions.
I shared some of my healthy habits + routines and now I want to share some of the negative ones that I consciously choose to change. Let me know if you relate to any of these:
- Toxic thinking – putting myself down, blaming myself + others
- Focusing On the Bad – always focusing on what can go wrong as opposed to right.
- Skipping Meals – not eating enough throughout the day and then coming home and overeating to the point of a stomachache.
- Doing it Alone – feeling like I couldn’t reach out for help or being too scared to open up to others.
- Giving Away My Power – blaming others, getting angry, feeling useless and being in victim mode.
- Placing Happiness Outside – I used to think the more I had (money, items, home, career) the happier I’d be. Everything was about gaining more outside myself rather than within myself.
- Panic- Yes, I realized my tendency to freak out was nothing more than a negative habit. I allowed it to rule my days. If the slightest think went wrong or scared me, I would spiral into panic.
- Shopping + eating to cope – often times I would spend money or over eat in order to fill myself up with something. I was in a state of lacking and didn’t know what it was that I needed so I found ways to “fake” fill myself up.
The reason I am highlighting these is because I know I am not the only one who suffered from these types of habits. It takes the simple tool of awareness to shine some light on what’s happening within us in order to consciously make positive changes.
Here are a few guiding questions to support yourself in making changes:
- What habits do you repeat and how do they support you?
- Do you want to willingly change them for the better?
- What are healthy and positive habits you’d like to implement instead?
If you want to learn more about habits + rituals, please keep in touch with me!
Love + Light,
Exciting Announcement – This year’s Holiday Experience (a 7-day Guide to Starting the Holiday’s with Purpose) begins Nov. 14th! Keep a lookout for my upcoming email on how to sign up and get all the awesome details!
For now, make sure you mark these dates on your calendar:
November 1 – Registration Opens
November 14 – The 7-day Holiday Experience starts